Wednesday 11 June 2014

Preparation, preparation, preparation

Next month, 11 runners will take part in the British 10K to raise money to support the vulnerable young people we work with. The team are busy training and fundraising as the event draws closer.

Among them is St Christopher’s Trustee Bert O’Donoghue, who has already raised more than £1,000. In our latest guest blog he tells us about his preparation and what has amazed him about St Christopher’s.

There is now only about a month to go to the British 10K road race through the streets of London. I am really looking forward to the race, which is a unique opportunity to run through the city on streets closed to traffic.

I am working hard on my training to prepare for whatever the day will bring. With about 25,000 runners, it may not be a run to try to achieve a personal best time but I will prepare as best I can for the day. There are so many variables in a road race which include the weather on the day, the course, how crowded it is, the crowds cheering and of course, how you are feeling on the day itself. You prepare as best you can to try to be ready to meet any or all of these challenges.

I am running this to raise funds for St Christopher’s Fellowship – an incredible organisation full of dedicated people who work really hard with vulnerable young people to prepare them for a fulfilling and happy life ahead.

I joined St Christopher’s as a Trustee late last year and since then I have had the opportunity to meet many of the staff and young people and I continue to be amazed at what the achieve together. Like my preparation for the race, the staff work with the young people to prepare them for the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead. 

Thanks to everyone who has sponsored me so far. If you wish to join them in sponsoring me, please follow this link: http://www.justgiving.com/BertODonoghue

No comments:

Post a Comment