Wednesday 22 January 2014

I've found my vocation in life

This week Doreen, St Christopher’s foster carer, shares how fostering was a complete career change for her.

I made a life-changing decision when I swapped my senior management role to become a foster carer. It all started when my daughter’s troubled teenage friend came to live with us. I realised the positive impact I could have on a young person in need.


It really got me question what I could do with the next 20 years, and how many young people would benefit from the care I had to offer in the years leading up to retirement.

Ten years on, a grown-up daughter, four grandchildren and 14 foster children later, I can honestly say I have found my vocation in life.

There are two children – a brother and sister – living with me now who are settled into a routine of boundaries and love. Every day I watch them grow into wonderful young people and when their time to move on to independence comes, I will be there for them as I was for my daughter and other foster children who left before them.

Their gratitude shows in the small things they say and do. Even when they’ve left our home, they always return for coffee and to chat over the good memories they left with.

When I’m asked to consider taking another child into my home, I look at their profile and ask myself what this child needs. Behaviour usually tells a lot about a child and what is lacking in their life. In most cases it’s simply the need to be loved, acknowledged and wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment