Sunday 26 January 2014

Teaching my foster child to read


St Christopher’s foster carer Connie has looked after a young man for three years and this week she will be sharing some of the academic achievements he has made over that time.

He was a very troubled young man when he came to stay with me when he was 12 years old. He had a development delay. He was in residential school at first and with me at weekends and school holidays.

He couldn’t read but he really wanted to. I asked the school for more help on numerous occasions. They put in an extra ten minutes. He was then excluded from school and came to live with me permanently. I remember feeling delighted, as I knew I could help him.

He started going to a local school and I got a private tutor to work with him. I am so proud of him, because he can now read. I think this is where I was able to make the biggest difference to him. He was very focused about learning to read and received an award for his achievement.

He has turned into a lovely young man who was able to return to his family as a result. I also taught him how to manage his temper outbursts and he developed in confidence and made friends whilst he stayed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment