Thursday 19 June 2014

A week in the life of a support worker – Day 4

Pete Smart’s Wednesday involved meeting with Allen’s college to discuss his educational needs and what extra support he needed. He also helped to train up a new colleague who has just joined the St Christopher’s team.

Day 4 – Wednesday
Today was an early start as I was back in Harlow to see Allen. I arrived at around 8.30am, because I was going to college with Allen. He had a meeting to discuss his educational needs and wanted my support.
When Allen first came to live with his St Christopher’s foster carer he was not in education and we are all very proud of the achievements he has made to get to the position where his studying a vocational course in a subject he loves. The aim of today’s meeting was to offer additional support so that Allen could benefit from some one-to-one tuition as he had exams coming up and this was felt would enhance greatly his chances of success.
The meeting went well and we were able to sort out which days and times the one-to-one support was available and to fit this into Allen’s busy timetable
We then drive over to our Chelmsford office to do some cleaning. This is an arrangement with St Christopher’s where Allen gets paid to maintain the office to a good standard. It’s a great experience for him which he takes very seriously and responsibly and also looks very good on his CV.
We go for a coffee afterwards and I drop Allen off at the community bike shop in Harlow where he volunteers and helps people fix their bikes and go for rides. He had a really positive day and I drop him off in a lovely mood.
I then went to our Southend office to meet up with a new work colleague. I’ve been asked to help him settle in and to go through our policies and procedures for support work, as we as organising the support work he is going to do. The meeting goes really well and I think our new colleague will do very well. I also do some admin whilst I’m in the office to keep on top of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment